Concrete is a very commonly used substance. The road that you walk on, the building where you live, your office structure, all are made of concrete. It is a durable and human-made substance prepared from a mixture. It wouldn’t be wrong to say that it is the most used human-made substance. This is because structures created by concrete are hard and so long-lasting. It is also environmentally friendly.
However, concrete is not a super-strong substance. The concrete to undergo wear and tear as a result of:
- Physical damage: This could be caused by underground constructions or settlements, earthquakes, or extreme temperatures. As a result of this, the concrete may get damaged and develop cracks.
- Chemical change: Seeping in of some chemicals such as chlorides, leaching, etc., can cause damage to the concrete. Concrete is susceptible to degradation by many chemicals.
There could also be other reasons to like mechanical stress, fire, excessive load, etc.
How to repair concrete?
One important thing to do first is an assessment of the damage. For example, it is possible that a big chunk of the concrete got torn down. Now in such a case, any epoxy substance wouldn’t help. All you can do is get the structure or that torn down part made again. On the other hand, if cracks or fissures make the surface uneven, you can apply the following suggestions.
- Epoxy: Epoxy is a material specifically used to repair concrete. All one has to do is inject the epoxy under high pressure and seal the crack. Sealing of the damage is very crucial for the time the epoxy is not gelled out. It is used mainly for damages of 0.002 inches. Generally, an epoxy for concrete repair is a favorable choice.
- Sealing of crack: If the damage doesn’t require any structural changes, then you can even seal the crack. The shots are enlarged on the sides and then filled with an appropriate sealant.
- Stitching of crack: For this, you will need a skilled man. In this process, holes are drilled around the shots, stitched together with the stitching staples.
These are the three new ways that have recently come up for concrete repairing. It’s all up to you whether you want to go with the conventional or non-conventional method. Note that all the forms have their advantages and disadvantages to ask the mason you appoint.